Ever since her brother Razo introduced her to the trees, Rin has turned to them for peace or reassurance, even direction- that is, until the day they seem to reject her. Rin is sure something is wrong with her, something that is keeping her from feeling at home in the Forest, from trusting herself with anyone at all.
When Razo returns to the city after a visit home, Rin accompanies him to the palace in hopes of finding a new sense of herself. But a mysterious threat haunts Bayern, and Rin joins the magical girls she thinks of as the Fire Sisters -Isi, Enna, and Dasha- as they venture into the woods toward the kingdom of Kel... where someone wants them dead.
- Rinna (Rin): The main character of Forest Born. She feels thoroughly uncomfortable in her own skin and accompanies her brother to Bayern's capital in the hopes that she'll feel better about herself.
- Razo: Rin’s favorite brother, Dasha's boyfriend, and a close friend of Isi, Geric, Enna, and Finn. He is the best slinger and one of the best spies in Bayern's Own.
- Ma Agget: Razo and Rin’s mother. The matriarch of all Agget-kin, she heads the sprawling homestead that is home to her seven children and twenty-three grandchildren. She is very close to her only daughter.
- Queen Anidori/Isi: The Queen of Bayern who is a wind-speaker and a fire-speaker. She's the loving mother of Tusken and wife of Geric. She is best friends with Enna, Finn, and Razo.
- Enna: A bold fire-speaker and wind-speaker. She is Finn's fiancée and is best friends with Isi, Razo, and Geric.
- Dasha: The Tiran ambassador to Bayern, she knows water-speaking and fire-speaking and is Razo's girlfriend. She is good friends with Enna, Isi, and Rinna.
- Finn: Enna’s fiancé and the best swordsman in Bayern’s Own. He is best friends with Razo, Isi, and Geric.
- Queen of Kel: The mysterious force in the kingdom of Kel who stirs up trouble in Bayern and tries to kidnap Prince Tusken.
- Tusken: The toddler crown prince of Bayern and the beloved son of Isi and Geric.
- Geric: King of Bayern, loving husband of Isi, and devoted father of Tusken. He is good friends with Razo, Finn, and Enna.
- King Scandlan: The melancholy King of Kel.
- Cilie: A lady-in-waiting of the Queen of Kel. She goes undercover as Isi's servant in order to kidnap the young Prince Tusken.
- Nuala and the other hearth-watchers: Slavishly devoted servants/fire-speakers of the manipulative people-speaking Queen of Kel.
Awards and HonorsEdit
- A Junior Library Guild selection.
- A Mythopoeic Award finalist.