Bayern is the central country in which the majority of The Books of Bayern series takes place. All Bayern have brunette hair.
Bayern has a long history of launching successful wars with almost every country that touched its borders, providing it with vast wealth. However, when the current King of Bayern lost his father and brothers to the Eastern War, he resolved to be more peaceful in his dealings with other nations. Without wars to maintain his country's vast wealth, he successfully invested in mining gold in the Bavara Mountains. Consequently, he claimed the majority of the mountains for Bayern, leaving little protection for the neighboring kingdom of Kildenree should Bayern ever choose to invade.
To avoid a war, Prime Minister Odaccar was sent to meet with the King and Queen of Kildenree where they arranged a marriage between Bayern's Crown Prince Geric and Princess Anidori of Kildenree once Ani turned sixteen.
- Bayern people love to dye their clothes with bright, vivid colors. They wear tunics with loose sleeves, separate skirts, and usually head scarves or hats.
- Bayern hangs its most severe criminals on the walls of its cities as a deterrent to future criminals.
- Many Bayern nobles taxidermy and display deceased pets and and hunting trophies.
- Bayern women, and sometimes children, accompany their soldiers to the battlefield. While they do not usually take part in the fighting, they are nearby to provide the male members of their families extra motivation to win.
- As a warlike country, Bayern requires each village to provide a hundred-band of men that may be called upon to fight in any war Bayern enters.
- Bayern city boys dance blindfolded within a ring of sharp javelins as part of the ceremony that earns them a javelin and shield, marking them as part of the community. It is honorable if they survive the dance untouched, but they receive their javelins anyway unless they die- which does occasionally happen.
Significant Places Edit
- Lake Meginhard- A grand manor where it became traditional for the royal family to hold their weddings, including the King of Bayern and where Selia almost marries Geric.
- Thumbprint of the Gods- a public square in the capital where Ani and Geric hold their wedding. No one remembers how it got its name. According to legend, sacred horses would speak in the gods' voices to the kings of old here.
- The Palace- A fortress-like castle built for defense in the center of the capital city. Home to the royal family and respected servants.